How do I become a Product Manager?
I. Speak the language
Become familiar with commonly used phrases, such as:
- Product development lifecycle (PDL)
- User story
- Unique selling point (USP)
- Target customer
- Key performance indicators (KPI)
- Minimum viable product (MVP)
- Two-pizza team
- Technical debt
- Objectives and key results (OKRs)
Schedule 1 on 1's to better understand each team member's role in the product development process.
- Marketing / Advertising
Read the following books by some of the most well-known and referenced leaders. Be sure to check out my blog for more in-depth insights and learnings.
IV. Learn the tools
- Jira / AHA! / Confluence
- Balsamiq / Sketch / Figma
IV. Get certified / take a class
- Product School
- Certified Scrum Master / Product Owner Certificate
- Product Management Certificate
- PM Agile Certified Practitioner